Sunday, December 27, 2009

Random Thoughts Around the Christmas Season

The Bethesda Center - The Bethesda Center is a Winston-Salem homeless shelter. Our Seeds (the name of our small Monday night worship group) folks went to the shelter a couple of weeks ago take refreshments and to lead a short devotional period. We had about 40 men and a few women join us. It was a wonderful evening. A couple of the guests sang spontaneous solos. Prayer requests were for family and friends, none for self, except for one request for a job. No one seemed to feel sorry for themselves. Instead, the room was filled with the Holy Spirit, with men who know and love God, with men who want to know God, and with all of us who want God to draw closer to us. I hope to have my Sunday school class do an evening there soon. The Love Feast - The Focus Sunday school class has hosted a Love Feast at church for many years now. It used to be held in the classroom. It was moved to a bigger room several years ago and for the past two or three years has been held in the fellowship hall. A week ago, on a very messy-weather Sunday, almost 100 celebrated together. The Love Feast is held during the Sunday school hour, between our 3 church services. It is one of the few times of the year that folks who attend the different services not only worship together, they fellowship together afterward. It is a Christmas blessing to see (and hug) those friends you don't see so very often. Worship services - My pastor, Terry Matthews, presented a really good sermon this morning. I wonder, is he getting better, am I getting more receptive, or is God directing my thoughts in a such a way that I hear the message that He has for me through Terry? Music is also a very important part of my worship experience. The music at every Sunday's service leaves me feeling blessed for attending. On Monday, Katie's soft voice and guitar open my mind and heart. Gifts for my Navajo friends - I wanted to get presents for my friends on the Navajo reservation at Four Corners Native American Ministry. When I realized that wasn't going to happen, I wanted to send Christmas cards to each of them. I couldn't seem to find the time to do personal cards, so I went to plan "C". Plan "C" stands for cyber-gifts. I tried to think of 3 or 4 gifts for each friend, gifts that they would appreciate, but would not or could not get for themselves. I sent them word of the gifts I would have bought, if possible, via email. I had a lot of fun doing that. So much fun that I'm thinking of doing it for even more friends next year. I have to admit that the thought of cyber-gifts wasn't original. Sara and I were watching one of the many Christmas feel-good movies in which members of a poor family were given clippings from a Sears catalog in place of the real thing. Doing this wouldn't help the economy very much, but it would certainly help my budget, let friends know that they are thought of, and be just plain fun picking things that fit . The Christmas Spirit - It seemed much easier to get into the Christmas spirit this year. Last year, I don't think it happened until Christmas eve. This year, weeks before Christmas, the spirit seemed to be there. More people smiled. More people were wishing "Merry Christmas!" More friends were being made. We had decided not to go into debt for presents and were holding to it. We were going to Lynchburg for Christmas at Ross & Danylle's house. I was working full-time and training for a part-time job as well. A Christmas to remember. The greatest gift of all - Ross and Danylle have bought a house in Lynchburg. Danylle's daughters are with them for week days and were there for Christmas. Maddie is 6 years old and Reese is 4 years old. I have been wondering what to ask them to call me as we draw closer. The problem is resolved and it was perhaps the greatest Christmas present I've ever received. As I got to the front door on Christmas eve, I was met by two beautiful girls who were yelling, "Grandpa, we're glad you're here!" How special - celebrating Christmas with two new granddaughters. God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment