Saturday, January 30, 2010

Having Your Flowers Now

I work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. It is an unusual job. We know already that it will end no later than the last part of September this year. With very strict job parameters, very important goals, and pressure growing on a daily basis, it is an easier place to work some days than it is others. I've not been bored for even a minute and I look forward to going to work every single morning. The boss is a veteran of the job. In the past, his offices have set performance records. He knows that we have the ability to be a record setting office ourselves. Most days he is from the Dean Smith school of management. Once in a while, he leans more to the Bobby Knight (my apologies to those who don't follow college basketball) school of management. Naturally, I like the Dean Smith school better, but sometimes all of us need the Bobby Knight method to shake us out of our complacency and wake us to the urgency of our job. One of the things that he does that I really like is to walk through the office every morning greeting each of us. Another thing he has done is to involve the whole office in a monthly potluck lunch. At that time, we get a more detailed overview of what's happening and what our expected role is and is expected to be. We also use that time to recognize employees who have gone above and beyond the call of duty in job performance the previous month. Since the census (okay, now you know where I'm working) is only held every 10 years, the boss has been involved in other vocations. Among them is included work in the funeral business. From that job, came something that he shared with us prior to recognizing the outstanding employees this last month. What he said stuck with me and inspired me to share it with you. He told us that, during his time in the funeral business, he had seen many flowers given in memory of persons who could no longer enjoy them. This had inspired him to develop recognition programs wherever he worked. His point was that he wanted his employees to be given their "flowers" while they could enjoy them. I have to admit that, when the nomination policy for recognition was first announced, I thought it was a bit hokey. Now, I'll be the first to admit that it made me feel good seeing several employees honored by their managers and peers. I liked seeing them enjoying their "flowers" now. Here is my final point... now is the time to share your flowers. Do you owe someone an apology? Don't wait to send flowers to their funeral, give a heartfelt apology now. Have you been remiss in keeping in touch with friends? Don't wait to attend the funeral. Get in touch now. Have you been meaning to volunteer at a mission, but just haven't found the time? Bring those "flowers" with you and find a way to share them with those who need the boost they will give. The boss and I will never see eye-to-eye on everything, but on this one thing, he has been able to share a small "flower" with me that I'll cherish forever.

1 comment: