Sunday, October 17, 2010

Faith

She's laying there, asleep on the den rug. The warmth of the sun, shining through the patio doors, has finally robbed her of her vigilant guarding of the back yard. Just for the moment, birds can fill themselves at the feeders. The bravest of the chipmunks can climb up on the deck to try and recover any seeds the birds might scatter. Squirrels are free to tiptoe across the yard toward the bird feeders. Even the fat rabbit comfortably stuffs herself in the patch of wild strawberries that grows in the back corner. I'm sure she dreams. Her paws twitch. She almost has a smile on her face as a small moan escapes her. As she sleeps, she is finally able to catch that darn fat rabbit before it escapes into the deeper growth on the hill. A full belly, a safe bed, warmth of the sunshine. How could life be any better? "Come on", I tell her. She cracks one eye a bit and looks at me like I'm crazy, before settling back into a more comfortable position. Again, I tell her, "Let's go. I have things for us to do and I can't wait all day for you to sleep." That finally gets her attention. After all, going someplace with me is probably her third favorite thing to do, after eating and sleeping. In the back of her trusting, but intelligent eyes, I can almost read her thoughts. "Okay, I'll go, but I don't see you carrying any extra food or water in case I get hungry or thirsty. And what about my blanket? If we have to spend the night somewhere, I definitely want to be warm and comfortable. Oops! I see that you also don't have my favorite toy. You know, that's my most precious possession and I don't want to take a chance on someone taking it while we are gone wherever it is we're going." I look deep into those same eyes and say, "I want you to go with me. I love you and I won't let anything bad happen to you." That does it! She leaps to her feet, takes a quick doggie type stretch, and races to the kitchen door as if to say, "For you I'd do anything and follow you anywhere. Let's go do the work you have for us to do." I pray that I can live up to Pepper's expectations. I also pray that my faith in Christ, like Pepper's faith in me, will get me up and following, no matter how comfortable I am and no matter where that calling to follow might lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment