Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Hardest Part

Life is a trip. God has put me on the road to service in the Navajo Nation. To see how the whole story began click here. Today I begin to work on the hardest part of my call to being a missionary... raising money. I'll be using email, snail mail, the church bulletin and newsletter, speaking to Sunday school classes, applying for grants, and anything else I can think of. I have to make myself remember that I'm not asking for money for myself. I'm asking for money in order to be able to do the things that God wants me to do. When Moses fled Egypt after killing the Egyptian, he left a life of untold wealth and became a shepherd. He had less than nothing when God called him to return to Egypt and lead the Israelites out of captivity. I'm pretty sure that Moses didn't tell God he couldn't go because he had no money. I'm also pretty sure that God didn't plan to pack him a bag lunch. God just expected Moses to begin his mission and assume that he would be provided for. I believe that God will provide the resources for me to make this journey, but He expects me to do the work. Today I intend to write a letter / email to be posted to family and friends asking for donations; a difficult thing to do in this economy. Today I'll also work on comments I want to be able to make to Sunday school classes, during the church hour, or to anyone who will listen. Today I'll begin an address list of family and friends I want to contact. Today I'll contact a friend who understands grants and who has the resources to help point me in the right direction to seek one or more grants. God will provide, but like Moses, I have to at least make the effort to strike the rock with my staff before I am granted water. Prayers for success are requested.

No comments:

Post a Comment