Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I don't know anywhere near as much about Dietrich Bonhoeffer as I would like, but everything that I learn makes him more of a personal hero. This morning, I read Cal Thomas' column in the Winston-Salem Journal editorial pages. He wrote about Bonhoeffer and a biography of him that has just been released. I'm quoting from Thomas' column: "Bonhoeffer quickly tired of the 'God-lite' theology at Union (Union Theological Seminary in New York) and decided to visit churches that held more substantive beliefs. He discovered a black church in Harlem where Adam Clayton Powell Sr. preached riveting sermons, and people joyfully worshiped God as if they actually believed he exists." I can't help but wonder, how many churches in Winston-Salem would Bonhoeffer have to visit before he found the one he sought? Am I doing what I can to make my church the one? God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment