Thursday, June 10, 2010

Poems and Prayers and Promises

In 1968, I first heard the music of John Denver. Now, 42 years later, I am still a big fan. This evening, as Sara and I drove across town, we were both singing along with his songs. We don't know all the words to all the songs, but we didn't miss many (I, of course, sound much better than she does.) One of my all-time favorites is "Poems and Prayers and Promises": "and talk of poems and prayers and promises and things that we believe in; how sweet it is to love someone, how right it is to care." I don't know much about poems. If songs are poems set to music, I have many poems that I love, especially old-time gospel hymns and folk songs. At the same time, I like to read from the Song Of Solomon. I enjoy some of the work by the Beat poets like Ginsberg and Ferlinghetti. I never get tired of "Stopping By The Woods On A Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost. I know the words to several bawdy limericks. If I ever get a chance, I think a class on understanding and appreciating poetry would be good to take. I don't know much about prayers either. I have absolute faith that prayers are heard. I don't begin to understand how and why they are answered the way that they are. I am reading a book now in which the author says that, "I don't believe in predestination, fate, chance, or luck. I believe that a combination of free will and random chaos controls our destinies." I think that this couple of sentences is a good jumping off point for deep discussion. God allows us free will to make both good and bad decisions. God is in control, but I am not sure how He exercises that control. If the term "random chaos" is used to describe events like a person, driving as safely as humanly possible, being hit head on and killed by a drunk driver who walks away from the crash, then it seems that God must be allowing random chaos. Even if the driver who was killed has prayed for travel mercies just prior to setting off, I do not and cannot believe that God has not heard the prayer. It is the way in which the prayer is answered that has always puzzled me. When it comes to promises, I believe that a man's word should be his bond. I also believe that we do now and always have failed miserably at keeping promises. How often do we hear someone say, "I promise you" or "trust me" and wince? We know that the good intention is present in the moment, but will the promise be honored in the long run? God keeps His promises. He doesn't promise that you won't have trouble in your life. In fact, you may feel like you are leading the life of Job, but He has promised us an everlasting, heavenly life with Him and that word will be fulfilled if we only believe in the promise that has been delivered to us through Christ Jesus. How about "things that we believe in"? I believe that the Ford F150 is a doggone good truck. I believe that the Wake Forest University football team will always be fun to watch, but will never win a national championship. I believe that natural gas feels warmer when it heats than other methods. I believe that I attend a church that has one of the finest staffs that it is possible to assemble. I believe that Sara got the short end of the stick when she married me. I believe that Autumn, Maddie, and Reese are the prettiest and smartest grandchildren ever. I believe that wearing a tie to work does not make a person one bit smarter. I believe that a mountain vacation is better than a beach vacation (although it is a pretty close race!) I believe that North Carolina is the most wonderful state in the union, followed closely by parts of Virginia and Colorado. I believe that even a menial task can be a wonderful experience, especially if it is done to the best of your ability and even more so if it is done for someone else. I believe that cake is better than pie (another close race!) I believe that, the older I get, the less reason there is to hurry. I believe that the generations that will follow mine are no worse, only different. I believe that it is okay to dislike an individual, but it is absolutely wrong to hate a group. I believe that dogs make much better pets than cats and that the Labrador Retriever makes the very best pet of all. I believe that, the older we get, the more temperature changes bother us, although I believe that most of us would rather the temperature be on the warm side more so than the cold. Hardly anyone retires to the North. I believe that there is never a time we don't have enough room in our hearts to add another friend. I believe that everyone has a story to tell and that most are interesting. The problem is that some of us do a much better job telling the story than others. I believe that the worst live theater production is better than most movies ever made. I believe that the term "God sightings" should be applied to every single thing in our lives. They are always there if only we look. I believe that there is no such thing as bad banana pudding, that Jif is the best peanut butter, and that western style BBQ is better than eastern style. I believe that God loves us and that covers it all. How sweet is it to love someone? How right is it to care? There is nothing in this world like love. Try holding a newly born baby or the hand of a dieing friend. Try receiving the smile of someone whose day has been brightened by your presence. Try sleeping at night when you know that someone you love is upset with you. Love can't be easily defined, but it can make your heart grow to bursting with happiness or break your heart from sadness. Life without love is unthinkable. I cannot imagine a life without it. Love sparks caring. Caring ignites service. Service is a sign of love. Like a wheel within a wheel, just try to picture a world full of love. If you can picture it, you can live it. Give it a try. In the past few weeks, I've experienced the joy of renewing old friendships, celebrating birthdays with extended family, and finding opportunities to add friends to my life. God is indeed good. Please pray for Lucas Little and his family and friends. Pray for my friends Paul and Mark who are both having a tough time. Pray for Danylle, away from her family, and for her family who misses her. That's just the top of my list. Add to it as you see fit and talk to God. You'll be glad you did.

1 comment:

  1. I have always loved John Denver, and that particular song is one of my favorites as well. Good to see you again, and hope to see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete